Fanfic help

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Vagineer, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

So, I am currently writing a RWBY fanfic where Jaune has gynophobia. Can any one of you guys give me any tips on how to make my fanfic writing skills good?

2. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Do what I do, read good fanfics and try to emulate the writing styles.

3. Misty gimme kiss

4. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Already uploaded the prologue. :D

5. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

If they aren't any naked homosexual vampires in this fanfic, I will be extremely disappointed.

6. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

... Interesting... The main character has gynophobia anyways.

7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

If you put naked vampires in this fanfic I will destroy you. Unless you include Nazi vampires to balance it out.

8. Plums Wakanda Forever

This very much so! I've been very tempted as of late to do a Korra fanfic (BET Y'ALL CAN'T GUESS WHAT ABOUT), and I often find myself reading different fanfics to see how people portray the characters; what aspects do they focus on, what situations do they put them in, how do they use the established characterization in canon as a base and move on from it, etc.

I wouldn't say emulate the writing style necessarily, but definitely see what kinds of things you like that people do and try to integrate that into your approach and put twists on it. Similarly, ask yourself what makes a good story for you! I've probably talked about it before, but I definitely prefer character driven things over plot driven usually, and my writing very much reflects that interest. I know it's very tough approaching a fanfic and trying to remain faithful to characters & the canon (if applicable), and trying to also hold up your own voice for it. It's okay if your first few tries aren't as successful as you might want, what matters most is trying and trying over and over, putting it out there and you'll see improvements for sure!

Misty's suggestion of going to the Works & Rec section is great and you'll probably get some groovy help, especially from people who are pretty familiar with RWBY

9. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Thanks guys. Like what I said, already uploaded the prologue in the site. I am currently uploading chapter 1 then I will start writing chapter 2. :3

10. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

No yaoi, pls. That stuff is sinful and will give you tapeworm.

11. Odamadillo Twilight Town Denizen

While I have no knowledge of RWBY I will still glance at your fanfic. For myself I try to picture the scene I am writing in my head before I write so I can include some details to help my readers picture it as they read it. But everyone has already given you some great advice so all I can say now is good luck.

12. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Nah. Although I plan on having a Jaune/Ren bromance, some readers thought that it is going to be a yaoi romance... D:
    Thank you. :D I posted it on this site and on Fanfiction.net