KH-Vids Podcast Episode #64: Digital Love

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Misty gimme kiss

[​IMG]
    It's Tuesday and you know what that means...!

After taking last week due to sickness, @Misty, @Llave, and @libregkd are back! Joined by @Calxiyn and @Sabby, we discuss all things digital gaming: digital marketplaces (like Steam or the PSN), whether or not we still buy physical games, DLC, and season passes, as well as some extra chats about Misty's serial killer-esque Sims tendencies!

As always we answer user-submitted questions. @Graxe poses yet another mind-bending scenario, @. : tale : . asks us about the new Smash Bros, and, at @SPACESHIP's behest, Misty addresses some issues with women and gaming (Anita Sarkeesian specifically).

Finally we talk a little bit about the revival of the Magic Kingdom Hearts project. It's a fun-filled episode and we hope you enjoy!

Have any thoughts about what we've said? Please let us know in the comments below!

cover2014.png

Download Episode #64 (MP3)
    Subscribe to us on iTunes or through our RSS feed

Interested in being a member guest on the podcast? Fill out our form here and we'll be in touch. Ask us a question by visiting this page or sending an email to podcast@kh-vids.net!

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Shiki
      Shiki
      Man, I really wish I was able to come!
      Alas, life had to be a bore.
    2. Amaury
      Amaury
    3. . : tale_wind
      . : tale_wind
      I prefer to get physical copies of games (they take up space on the system, and what happens to your digital games if your system is damaged or stolen?), but I'm not totally opposed to digital copies. I actually got the digital version of Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl from the Nintendo eShop (IT'S GREAT GO PLAY IT NOW THERE'S A FREE DEMO YOU CAN DOWNLOAD), but that was because it was on sale for $14.99.

For Smash, I'm really looking forward to playing as Robin, Greninja, and Mii Fighter. Wii Fit Trainer will be fun to try out, too~
      Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    4. Scarred Nobody
      Scarred Nobody
      I've always liked having physical copies of things because there's a part of me that feels like I own it. This is my copy. While digital is more practical, I always feel that the file can get corrupted, or there's a chance I can lose it forever. Plus, the physical copy of a game may come with some bonuses that you might not get with a digital copy, similar to special features on a DVD/Blu-ray for a movie, but not for the digital copy.

Always asking the tough questions. And I completely forgot about all the Lightning Returns stuff, and how much fun it was to troll with questions. Come to think of it...
    5. libregkd
      libregkd
      I will say this, disregarding any DRM schemes that are put into place, I feel digital will be the only way to actually have something forever (Forever being however long you want it). Physical things rot and deteriorate. Really old cartridges and the connectors for cartridges on game systems can fail. I mean who can ever forget about just blowing into a cartridge and hoping it then works? haha. But they do eventually fail. CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays can suffer disc rot and become unplayable. And there are a myriad of other things that will just cause physical media to eventually become un-usable. Of course in many cases these process can take decades to fully destroy everything, but if we are talking about preserving the game's themselves and being able to play them whenever, no matter how far into the future it may be; keeping a digital archive is the best way to maintain that. Preferably, it'd be a solution where the archive is stored at multiple places at once just in case if there is hardware failure on a one end, everything is still saved somewhere.

It does mean not having a physical collection to display...but I'm sure you can replicate that somehow with like blank game cases and boxart if you have the money lol.
    6. Hayabusa
      Hayabusa
      Is anyone else having issues downloading the podcast? I tried twice and it just stops around 19 minutes in...
    7. Amaury
      Amaury
      Do you mean the buffering while listening to the audio player in this thread?
    8. Hayabusa
      Hayabusa
      No, the actual download for the podcast's file. Like, trying to play it off of my computer's music player.
    9. Amaury
      Amaury
      Ah, okay. I wouldn't know how to help, then. I just listen to them on here. Sorry. :x
    10. Eric Luna
      Eric Luna
      Yeah.Now that I have installed the PS2 Emulator,I've been trying to Play Kingdom Hearts II but it so laggy and hardware settings doesn't show the game image. Overall, Digital games are good, and I really hope that Magic Kingdom Hearts Project finally makes Disneyland put Kingdom Hearts in Because that would be fun to see.
    11. Misty
      Misty
      Just gave it a go and it worked fine for me. Perhaps try right-clicking the audio and doing save target as (or whatever it is, depending on your browser).
    12. Hayabusa
      Hayabusa
      Worked now, got the full 68 minutes :>
    13. . : tale_wind
      ...For some reason, 68 minutes doesn't sound quite so long as 1 hour, 8 minutes does. o.O
    14. Amaury
      Amaury
      Well, it is, because 60 minutes is one hour.
    15. . : tale_wind
      [​IMG]
    16. Hayabusa
      Hayabusa
      Adding to the discussion digital: it's really the only viable way for most indie developers to make profits from their games. People can forget just how much it costs to produce physical copies and distribute them.