No Thanks Disable Last New Post Link on Thread Title Click

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

To clarify, I'm referring to this URL when clicking on a thread title sometimes:

Code:
    http://kh-vids.net/threads/thread-name.######/unread
    Better would be:

Code:
    http://kh-vids.net/threads/thread-name.######/
    Back on vBulletin, there were different URLs for a thread:
    • Normal: just by clicking on the thread title, which takes you to the top of the page or the top of page one if multiple pages exist
    • Go to first new post: takes you to the first new post since your last thread visit
    • Go to last post: takes you to the last post made in the thread

SEGA Example 1.png SEGA Example 2.png

On XenForo it works essentially the same way as shown on the list, except for the thread title not always being the same. I don't know what it depends on, but sometimes the thread title takes you to the last new post in the thread instead of just to the top of the thread or the top of page one of the thread.

On XenForo the "go to last new post" (or "go to the last unread message," as it's called on XenForo) link is a blue-ish circle and the "go to the last post," link is the date / time stamp (e.g., 14 minutes ago).

KH-Vids Example.png

Would it be possible to change the behavior of the thread title link so it's always the normal URL?

To always get just the thread (normal URL), you can click on the date / time stamp below the thread. However, that's not as obvious, which is why I'm suggesting this.

KH-Vids Example 2.png

If anyone needs further clarification, I'll be glad to explain more.

2. Misty gimme kiss

I'm sure it's possible but that's how it's designed--to take you to whatever your last unread post was.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

I figured it was as designed, but if it is possible, would it be a bother to look into it?

One problem I see is that it does it even when you've never visited the thread before, and when you do, it jumps you in the middle of somewhere. That's also one of the reasons I created this thread. :)

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Figured I'd post this here explaining how it works:

5. Midnight Star Master of Physics

With your explanation of how it works it shouldn't do that. If you've never visited the thread before the oldest unread post should be the OP. It should only take you to the middle if you've gone on it before. That's more annoying when you've clicked on it accidentally or been linked previously to a post later in the thread which would make it think anything previously had been read. Likewise if you've forgotten the thread or had only flicked through it before BUT it should not take you randomly to the middle if it is your first time viewing the thread like you said.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/thread-read-cutoff-date.55325/#post-589896

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.