DEAR GOD

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Ars Nova, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I THINK YOU'RE THE ARTIFICIAL LIFE FIBER AROUND HERE

2. 61 No. B

whats your deal with music

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Couldn't tell ya if I tried

4. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Honey if I get restless
    YEEE-AAAAA-AAAAH!

5. Misty gimme kiss

okay real talk I am hoping to watch Kill la Kill but I almost never watch anime so I have to ask basic questions and I am using yr thread to do it nova please forgive me

is there a dub and is it worth watching and am i awful for wanting to watch a dub

( I KNOW but I like to watch TV before bed and being sleepy + reading doesn't always work )

6. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I'm the minority here, but no, you're not awful for wanting to watch a dub.

Dubs can be great. They can make the transition to the... shall we say quirkiness... of anime easier without the whole thing feeling foreign. If the voice actors are to your liking, make them your headcanon. It's really your call if you enjoy someone's voice and think it fits the character. I know, for example, a lot of people prefer the Cowboy Bebop and FLCL dubs to their Nippon counterparts, and those are very good dubs. This isn't the 80s- dubs can be enjoyable. There are cases even such as FMA where the dub voice actor is absolutely superior to the JP dub voice. It's all about the actor and how into their role they are- and especially how into their role you think they are.

If you feel subtitles will make you enjoy the product less, then feel free to watch it dubbed and watch it subbed later to compare the experience once you know narrative and events.

I watch dubs by preference- I can listen and study the animation techniques without having to pause or lower my eyes to focus on subtitles. I much prefer to observe the artist's techniques than to read subtitles, but that's just me.

I think a few people here prefer watching dubs because it suits their style. I know DA and I were JUST talking about this so I kind of had these words prepared, heh.

7. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Since SJ didn't answer the specifics of KlK:

It's an infamously disappointing dub. Better go with the sub for that one.

8. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

The dub for KlK was mainly found disappointing at its trailer- I've listened to it and it sounds fine. The main thing people say is how it doesn't sound like the original voices- which is a method of thinking that could quickly become worthless to someone who hasn't seen either version before. Exposure is everything here. As I recommended, it's her call to try it and see if she likes it that way. If she doesn't there's always another option.

9. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Comment of note for the KLK conversation, the English language version VA for Satsuki admitted at an Otakon 2014 panel that she was convinced she would be fired after her first recording session because of how badly she had done. She was pleasantly surprised when they kept her on. Given what I've seen, I'm surprised too.

10. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

As someone who can appreciate adaptations, matching the original was the least of this dub's problems.

If she wanted to try it first she wouldn't have asked for opinions before doing so.

11. Misty gimme kiss

aight I suppose I'll go with subs, thanks all

I've watched subbed stuff before (One Piece, mostly -- censorship aside, I hate some of the English VAs) so it's not unbearable or anything but it is a bit inconvenient.

12. Hayabusa Venomous

PLEASE watch it with subs. English Senkesu (the living school uniform and my favorite character) is just terrible and doesn't fit the kind of character he's supposed to be. English Satsuki is an unconvincing hardass. English Ryuuko is an unimpressive speaker for the more badass lines.

ALSO THIS MIX IS FRICKIN DOPE

13. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Am I the only one okay with the KLK Dub

Nonon sounds hella. So do allthe elite Four.

Ryuko is just okay.

Satsuki is Mami Tomoe so I'm biased but she's not amazing

Senketsu's dub voice must burn

14. Hayabusa Venomous

The Elite Four is ok, especially Nonon.

The last three are why I will not watch the dub willingly. They're my three favorite characters and I think they attribute a lot of the most important dialogue. Unfortunately, the chosen voice actors and each of their' performances are too weak in my opinion to do the job well.

15. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

16. Plums Wakanda Forever

the trailer for the dub was rough, but from what i've heard it isn't really as bad as some people make it out to be. ryuko's english VA is pretty unknown and satsuki's is Mokuba Kaiba, and the other characters barring Senketsu are pretty ok. it's not as bad as say, that one Pokemon special with mirages Pokemon (that was godawful), but it's tolerable.

i'd still recommend the subs over dub just because Satsuki and Ryuko's Japanese VAs blew it out of the park in terms of the emotional range, delivery, and the confidence behind the performance. (they also cosplayed as their characters and it was the cutest thing ever).

also the dub episodes still aren't all out atm (they're being released gradually via bluray), so if you wanna marathon KLK the best choice is the subs for now. would recommend Underwater's subs.

17. Misty gimme kiss

thank u based ploohems

18. jafar custom title

wow this makes me wish i was deaf

19. Hayabusa Venomous

If you don't like it then you probably already are deaf.

20. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

That was awesome. Please tell me there's a download link.
    The dub of Kill la Kill is a pretty even mixture between OMG PERFECT IT'S LIKE THEY FLIPPED A SWITCH FROM JAPANESE TO ENGLISH and OMG KILL IT WITH FIRE WHY WOULD THEY RUIN MY FAVORITE CHARACTER LIKE THAT. I recommend watching the subs first and then going back and watching your favorite episodes in the dub. The rundown of my opinions on the voices I've heard so far in terms of Project Diva hit/miss scale goes roughly:

Ryuko: BAD
    Senketsu: WORST
    Gamagoori: PERFECT
    Sanageyama: SAFE
    Satsuki: SAFE
    Mako: GOOD (Andrea Libman would have been PERFECT, though)
    Music Girl Whose Name I can't Remember: SAFE
    Guts: PERFECT
    Mako's Brother: PERFECT
    Mako's Father: PERFECT
    Mako's Mother: PERFECT