Kingdom Hearts II AI Miscalculations

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Amaury, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Here's another interesting one. I've noticed it before, but I've only recently begun doing deeper research into it.

When the allies use regular attacks, they start attacking too early and don't got close enough. The only reason they're able to land hits is because after the first time they attempt a regular attack, they are moved forward a bit. In the case of Donald and Mulan, it also happens with their Donald Fire and Mushu Fire, respectively, abilities.

Look at 4:32-4:37 for a regular attack miss and then look at 5:42-5:55 for a Donald Fire miss several times in a row here:

At that point, Donald should still be using Donald Thunder or Donald Blizzard if he had it before that boss, which he doesn't.

It's like the developers just chose a random, "Okay, when the AI is here, we'll just have them use this ability, but for regular attacks or abilities with a shorter range, we'll just choose this spot and won't take range into account." As far as I know, this wasn't an issue in Kingdom Hearts.

Once again, what do you guys think about this and a possible reasoning, whether intentional or not?

@iwantedtoexplode

2. Explode Who?!

What are you talking about with regular attacks missing? At the time you mentioned they were both hitting him.

As for fire, it's probably got to do with range. In some cases from that distance, an enemy would be aggressive and walk right into the fire. But Pete was stunned, so he was didn't move forward.

Keep in mind that battles are faster and cover more ground in KH2. An enemy can fly across the arena pretty fast, and the AI isn't good enough to predict that. And fire is very short-ranged, so that is amplified. Think about how Donald would often miss with gravity in the first game. It's slow moving and doesn't track. Kind of similar situation.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'll try to get some better examples. It's pretty much like Donald Fire/Mushu Fire, though.

Right. They can't predict if an enemy's gonna get away, so when they attack, it should at least be with regard to where the enemy is at that point. As for the Pete example, correct. He was stunned. And correct. Donald Fire has short range. That's what I'm saying. At that point, Donald still should have been using Donald Thunder. He was just wasting MP with Donald Fire not hitting, so they should have set it up so he started casting Donald Fire when at least the edge of the fire would hit enemies. :P

Thank you for responding to this thread. :)

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

@iwantedtoexplode, I could have made a short clip with the same fight as in my other thread where I'm still waiting to hear your opinion (;D), but have a look at 2:10 - 2:20 here. You should be able to see it.

Pay close attention after Auron is finished with his Divider attack. The second time, Hades teleported away, yeah, but the first time Auron attacked, Hades was completely still. Auron, just like all the other allies, attacks too early with regular and special attacks, though obviously it's not a problem for his Divider attack.

5. Explode Who?!

Yeah dude, the AI in this game is not perfect. Can't say much beyond what I already said.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

True.

It is odd, though. They didn't start attacking too early in the first game. :p

7. Explode Who?!

I talked about it in my previous post. Combat is a lot faster in KH2.